3.8.09

"Things as They Really Are" taught by Melanie Ewell

Hi everyone,

Here's the link to Elder Bednar's talk on the importance of our physical body:

http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?locale=0&sourceId=e99385703d951210VgnVCM100000176f620a____&vgnextoid=43d031572e14e110VgnVCM1000003a94610aRCRD
One great quote I didn't get to was (and this is Elder Bednar speaking):

"I have raised a voice of warning about only a few of the spiritual hazards in our technologically oriented and rapidly changing world. Let me say again: neither technology nor rapid change in or of itself is good or evil; the real challenge is to understand both within the context of the eternal plan of happiness. Lucifer will encourage you to misuse and to minimize the importance of your physical body. He will attempt to substitute the monotony of virtual repetition for the infinite variety of God’s creations and convince us we are merely mortal things to be acted upon instead of eternal souls blessed with moral agency to act for ourselves. Deviously, he entices embodied spirits to forfeit the blessings and learning experiences “according to the flesh” that are made possible through the Father’s plan of happiness and the Atonement of His Only Begotten Son."

When I read that I just want to soak in life - every breath I take, every time I kiss my baby, every beautiful thing I see-the list could go on if you think about it. I think what he's talking about here is our freedom - and he's warning that Satan will actually try and use technology to take it away. I never want to be "acted upon", instead of acting for myself, as he stated in that quote. This talk made me really think for the first time of technology as a potential thief of my quality of life - and my children's lives. And I think some of it is healthy and fine - as long as we're still the ones in control of it, and we're not being sucked into a techonology coma. It was a great talk and I love that our leaders are so inspired. We are so blessed to have the gospel and to have the scriptures and modern day prophets as our guide.

Thanks for sharing if you were in Relief Society yesterday - I loved it! And if you weren't there, we missed you!